If you are like us, then chances are you love avocados. They are one of our favorite foods, which is why you will see fresh avocados all over our menu here at Henderson Restaurant Borracha. If you love avocados as much as us, then we are more than happy to share some of our favorite facts all about avocados.
- The Super Bowl is One of the Top Avocado Consumption Days. With the Super Bowl only a few weeks away, it is only appropriate that we share this fun fact about avocados. Every year, on the Super Bowl more people eat avocados (mostly guacamole) than virtually any other day. It is estimated that Americans eat around 69 million pounds of avocados this day alone. If you ask us, it makes us even more excited for our upcoming Super Bowl Party.
- Avocados Are a Symbol of Love. In Aztec culture, avocados are a symbol of love and fertility. Why? Because they are not able to self-pollinate, they need a partner! They even grow in pairs!
- Avocados are Filled With Fiber. Most people know that avocados are a great source of healthy fats. However, did you know that avocados are also filled with fiber. In fact, an average size-sixed avocado has about 10 grams of fiber in them.
- Avocados are Fruit! Sure, they may not seem like strawberries or blueberries, but avocados are actually fruit, even though they aren’t super-sweet. Many people refer to avocados as vegetables because of their look and their tastes, but they are actually a berry that grows on trees. Another fun fact is that pumpkins and watermelons are also berries as well.
- Avocados Are Really Old. Did you know that avocados have been around for a really, really long time? In fact, there is evidence of avocados that date back to 8,000 BCE.
- You Can Ripen Your Avocados Even Faster. Nothing is worse than having an avocado in your home, only to find it isn’t ripe enough to eat. Not to worry, there are ways you can quicken up the ripening process. Just put your avocado in a bag and add an apple or banana, then store it at room temperature. It really does do the trick!
- Chipotle Uses a TON of Avocados. The popular Mexican chain of restaurants, Chipotle, uses 97,000 pounds of avocados per day. And we thought we ate a lot of avocados here at Borracha.
- Avocados Have a Nick Name. Avocados used to be called “alligator pears,” and some people still use this nickname today. It isn’t our favorite moniker, but it is fun!
Chances are, these fun facts are going to have you thinking about avocados even more. Craving some delicious avocados or fresh guacamole? Come on down to Borracha Mexican Cantina. Our menu is always filled with dishes that feature real avocados. We think they are the perfect compliment to our authentic Mexican cuisine, which is why you will always find avocados all over our menu. In fact, we may just wager to say that our favorite fact about avocados is that they are always available here at Borracha!